Queens Interfaith Unity Walk
The Peace & Social Action Committee (PSAC) coördinates witness activities at Flushing Meeting. If you would like to participate in PSAC, please contact the committee clerk, Linda Shirley.
PSAC seeks to facilitate and be a catalyst for members and attenders of the Flushing Monthly Meeting — to act on our spiritual leadings and testimonies — by connecting with Quaker organizations as well as the interfaith, peace, social justice, equality, earthcare movements.
Currently PSAC members are involved in:
- Coordinating and hosting the Queens Interfaith Council
- Volunteering for our local food pantries, including donating $2,000 to La Jornada during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Urging our local leaders to support legislation decriminalizing prostitution, unlicensed massage workers, and closing Rikers Island
- Participating in Amnesty International letter writing campaigns
- Recognizing and acknowledging Quaker involvement in Indian Boarding Schools and supporting the Truth and Healing Commission on Indian Boarding School Policies Act.
- Participating in ongoing discussions regarding White privilege and implicit bias in our own Quaker Meetings
- Supporting members of our community and educating ourselves regarding LGBTQ issues
PSAC works with the following partner organizations and community coalitions to organize the annual Queens Interfaith Unity Walk and other activities that build peace and solidarity:
Alternatives to Violence (AVP) New York State
American Friends Service Committee (AFSC)
Amnesty International, Queens Chapter
Flushing Interfaith Council